Happy Cinco de Mayo! I’m thinking of making a festive dinner today, nachos and a margarita. How are you guys doing? Really, let me know below how this pandemic is treating you and share where you are located too.
In South Florida, they are starting a soft reopening, I see the parks are open and already packed. I plan on self distancing until at least July, so not much have changed for me. I had a doctor’s appointment, so I had to wear real clothes and get ready and honestly, it felt so good. I cannot bring myself to get dressed just to stay home, but it was nice to see myself look ‘normal‘ again.
The ironic thing about this pandemic is that it is forcing me to do things, I’ve been saying I wanted to be better about. Eat out less, save more, buy less clothes etc. Since I’m not going anywhere, I haven’t been tempted to buy cute clothes, I still like looking at new spring/summer arrivals. However, I have been tempted by activewear and loungewear but I still cannot justify those purchases. I’ve been eating 100% homemade meals lately and haven’t made frivolous purchases. While I miss going to pilates, not having to pay for my membership has been nice as well.
I’ve been treating myself to at home gel manicures as well, this is something I was doing even pre-pandemic. At first, I wanted to be lazy about it but seeing my nails in bad shape is just not my vibe.
I had extra blueberries and lots of lemon so I made myself this yummy cake. I didn’t follow one recipe, so I wanted to share exactly what I did. It came out so good.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for last step
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 16 oz blueberries
- 2 or 3 lemons for zest, juice and decoration
- Grate your lemons til you get about two tablespoons of zest.
- Juice the lemons to have about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Thinly slice lemon to have 3 thin pieces, make sure to remove seeds.
- Preheat your oven at 350F and grease your cake pan. I added parchment paper at the bottom as well.
- In my kitchen aid mixer, I added all the wet ingredients (eggs, sour cream, 2 tbsp lemon juice).
- Massage the lemon zest in the sugar until the sugar is tinted, then add this the wet ingredient mix above.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer.
- In another bowl, mix blueberries, cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix until all the white spots are gone.
- Grab your pan and put half the batter in it, then sprinkle half the blueberry mix on top.
- Pour the rest of the batter on top making sure to cover all the blueberries. Press in the remaining blueberries and the lemon slices. See below.
- Sprinkle the two tablespoons of sugar on top as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, it will be golden brown. I also started testing at 50 minutes making sure my tester comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake.
- Let it cool before slicing.
I enjoy it with some whipped cream.
I’ve binged watched Normal People on hulu and it was really beautiful. Marianne’s style is beautiful but this is not an uplifting story, the characters have lots of issues.
I also watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire, also on hulu. Loved it but it’s in french so if you are down for subtitles, enjoy.
Still doing puzzles and reading. I think Piecework Puzzles have new ones coming out today, so watch out for that. Try code welcome10 to get 10% off.
Hope you are all safe xoxo.