If you follow me on Snapchat although I’ve been an awful snapchatter lately you know I love anything skincare, hair or body related. As I’ve said before I cannot do these posts often as I tend to stick to the products that work for me. I do like to try new things but I don’t want to become a crazy product hoarder. I do review products I’ve been interested in or familiar with if the brand or a pr company reach out to me. So let me tell you the stories behind these 3 I’m loving lately, I’m also sharing 10 of my favorite beauty tips and habits below.
1- The hairstylist I used to go to when I wore my hair straight used Nefertiti Secret leave in conditioner on my hair. I loved it so much that I got my own leave in conditioner that I still use. Now a few months ago I was at a brunch with a group of girls and we were talking about hair products we love and of course I mentioned the leave-in, one of the girls actually knew the person behind this brand and told her about me. She was sweet enough to send me the Complete Hydration Conditioner that is part of some of the new products she just launched. You can use it as a conditioner, a co-wash or a leave-in. It smells heavenly and gives my hair all the hydration it needs. I personally love to use it as a leave in and only need apply a small amount. I will totally repurchase it.
2- I used two different night creams last year and I was pretty happy with both. My favorite one recently ended and I was itching to try La Mer, but the price made me nervous because I’ve never used La Mer before but I’ve been hearing wonderful things about this brands for years, my sister that is a skincare junkie raved about it. In December I was approached for a Instagram campaign with La Mer and my answer was hell yes. I’ve been using it for a month now and I now get the hype, I will repurchase this because while expensive my jar will last a really long time, the cream is really thick and a little goes a long way. I also have oily skin so no need to go heavy on it and I only use it at night.
3- This one I picked up myself after seeing all the amazing reviews about the Brazilian bum bum cream, I didn’t want to pay $45 for the body cream but they came out with this set during the holidays I had to get it. It smells absolutely amazing and I already got a second set I picked up for when mine is over.
Since this is my first beauty post of 2017, I wanted to share 10 beauty habits and tips that I have that seems to work well for me.
- No Soda. I don’t drink soda, to me it’s just a waste of calories and soda has a lot of terrible effects on the skin. It ages you, and cause damages to the skin that are comparable to the damages of smoking. Read more about it on Byrdie, it’s pretty scary.
- Take your makeup off. I have never in my life went to bed with makeup on, as soon as I get home from work pr wherever I always take my makeup off. If I don’t have to be in the office or going out somewhere nice I don’t put on any. I know we all have our hangups but I do believe you have to give your face a break at times. So next time you are having a low key day, skip the makeup and just put on your favorite serum and moisturizer.
- Co-Wash your hair. When I first heard of co washing I wasn’t really on board, but midweek if I’ve used a lot of hair products and my hair feels dirty I find that co-washing works perfectly. I’ve used several but this one is my favorite and is so cheap.
- Don’t touch your face. I’m sure you’ve heard that one before, but since I had bad acne this is one thing I learned from my dermatologist. Keep in mind whatever it is you’ve touched could potentially end up on your face, this is crucial for people who tends to break out easily.
- Trim your hair. I’ve heard people say that when you’re trying to grow your hair to not trim it. I am trying to grow my hair, I went to my first year of transitioning my hair to its natural state and it only grew when I stopped being stubborn and trimmed consistently. You have to get rid of split ends and there’s not magic product to fix them, keep in mind the longer you wait between trims the more you may have to cut next time. As soon as you see splits ends just get rid of it asap.
- Do at home masks. If you always get facials then maybe you don’t have to otherwise get in the habits of doing at least these 3 types of masks: a clay one, a peel off and a cream. The clay will remove impurities, the peel with tighten your skin (major key for mature skin), the cream will add moisture. (PS: I have all the masks that I’m linking to and love them).
- Moisturize your body. I’m always shocked when I found out that someone doesn’t use body lotion daily, just like your face the rest of your skin need moisture as well. It may be easier for me to remember because of my dark skin when I don’t moisturize I am ASHY CITY and that is not cute. While my face is super oily my body is dry and adsorb the heaviest moisturizer in seconds. See some of my favorites here, here, here and here.
- Deep conditioned your hair. I do it weekly religiously, I also have this awesome heat cap that use while deep conditioning for 30 minutes. It’s such an easy hair treatment you can do at home and it will your hair so soft. Some amazing deep conditioners that I’ve used and love are here, here and here.
- Put coconut oil on everything. Your scalp, your body. Coconut oil is the best, I just got this one that does not solidify and it’s my go-to to add shine to my hair within weighing it down. More benefits of coconut oil can be found here.
- Eat your fruits/veggies and drink water. Last but not least, I don’t think I need to tell you why it’s important to eat fruits and veggies and drink water. According to some research done the average American only eats 43% of the recommended fruit and 57% of the veggies each day. Read more about it here. Getting key nutrients is more effective than any skincare products out there. I’ve met several people who told me they didn’t like the taste of water, well if you are used to drinking juice, soda or other sweet beverages I can how water won’t be that interesting to you. Proper hydration is key for your health inside and out.
If you have some more tips please do share them with me in the comment section.