Hi guys! I mentioned last week in this post that I was doing the French Wardrobe Challenge. If you’ve been following for a while you know that for Lent I gave up shopping. I wanted to try this challenge because while on the shopping ban of course I was really tempted to cheat (hey I’m only human). I was only able to resist by analysing why I didn’t need this or that item. I am an impulse buyer, so I had to talk myself into why I didn’t need to make this purchase right here right now. I want to get better at curating my purchases, and by doing so I think I will buy less, save more and be able to spend a bit more on my basics and stand-out pieces.
SO WHAT IS THE FRENCH WARDROBE CHALLENGE?
Basically, you start with a solid foundation of basic clothing and purchase five stand-out items each season (Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer) to update your wardrobe. Accessories do not count, which is good otherwise I would have already failed at this.
- Quality over quantity.
- Basics don’t count.
- Accessories don’t count, unless you’re spending a lot more than usual.
- Socks and underwear don’t count.
- Shoes do count. (I decided to not count shoes but I have made an effort in the last few months to not buy as many shoes as I used to)
- T-shirts in black, grey and white (Like Jessica I decide to add stripes as well)
- Tank tops in black, grey and white (I’m not really big on tank tops, so I will switch this with button downs)
- Blouse in white or cream.
- Black dress
- Black blazer
- Black cardigan or sweater
- Black pants
- Jeans (adding denim shorts)
- Black skirt
- Leather jacket (I don’t need another leather jacket, I have one and I do not plan on purchasing another)
- Trench coat (not sure about that one, I don’t really need a trench here in South Florida)
- Winter coat (I decided to switch this with Bathing Suits, I live in South Florida after-all)
- Black suit (I personally do not need a suit)
- Black pumps
- Ankle boots
- Ballet flats
- Watch in gold or silver
- Black leather bag (I’m also adding any classic black or brown bag)
Note: For everything that says ‘black’ only, I would say any solid colors because I am not big on black.
Spring / Summer: March 20th to September 21th
Fall / winter: September 22th to March 19th
THE WISHLISTfloral track pants || gray split tee || palm print dress || pink skater skirt || black crossbody || black skirt || blue one piece || brown sandals || pink top and bottom
Well I decided to give this a try while on a shopping ban, basically my ban will be lifted on April 20th so I don’t have much to add here. Above are a few items I have my eyes on. To see more items I am watching, check out my Pinterest board Lust List.
Part of my Five:
- For now I’m not sure what I want my five stand out items to be, whenever I see something I cannot decide if it is worth a spot in my top 5.
- As soon as my ban is lifted I am getting this scoopback bathing suit and this neon pink top and bathing bottom, both are by J.Crew. I started hitting the beach and I want my bathing suit game to be on point.
Ordered and Returned:
I will be doing a recap every month, hopefully the next one will be more interesting. Jessica from Bedknobs and Baubles is also doing this challenge, she links up to other bloggers doing this. If you plan on giving this a try, let me know and I will link to you as well.